Saturday, September 6, 2008

iPhone Flicks, NY edition

Never realized how much I would depend on my iPhone here. Shit's been my trusty sidekick - serving as my phone, planner, alarm clock (it's dope waking up to "What a Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers), GPS, internet browser, and now camera*. I find it somewhat unwieldy to carry my "proper" cam around...every time I see something I want to capture, I have to whip out it's bag, pull it out, put the wrist strap on, etc. etc.

Note: Does anyone have any reccos on cameras that possess all these qualities?: slim, small, lightweight, can be slung around the neck, high megapixel count, reasonably priced? Something tells me this exists in Japan or Asia somewhere...

One other great thing about the iPhone is that when I'm taking a pic of something, it's less obtrusive and obvious. It usually just looks like I'm checking something on my phone when in reality I'm sneaking in a flick.

Here we go...

I have never seen this product before in my life. This was at a Bed, Bath, & Beyond, mind you. Only in NYC. Props for the creative packaging though, eh?

Taken at a cafe/eatery on 5th Ave. Guess they could have thought of a better name...maybe omitting the "tossed" part altogether. But then we wouldn't have this brilliance.


I finally glimpsed the elusive Gourmets at this shoe spot* (I'm gonna have to get better with names) near the Broadway-Lafayette St. Station. For those who don't know, these kicks take inspiration (OK, who am I kidding here)...they straight rip various Jordan silhouettes and re-do them casual style with canvas uppers and rubber soles. First impressions? Honestly, up close, the quality left something to be desired. I mean, one look at the sizing "tag" said it all. It looked like a cheapo piece of paper textile you'd see sewn into a Payless shoe. Oh, and made in China. All that being said...I wanted a pair of the purple joints but they didn't have my size. $*&*@!!!!!!!

*Note: At the entrance of the place were all these pics of celebs who had popped into the store at some point...I must've spent like 10 min. just observing. They had flicks of the guys from ONYX, Denzel, Chris Mills, Big Pun (RIP), some heavyweight boxers, etc. Personal faves: Liam Gallagher of Oasis rocking a white T and looking really disoriented and a young Chris Webber at the counter with, like, 9 boxes of Timbs stacked up (no joke).



Finally checked out the famed 45 rpm store on Mercer St. Amazing storefront...the interior looks like you've stumbled into a backstreet in Japan. Cobbled stones, subtle lighting, tons of cotton buds stuffed into glass bottles, the smell of fabric in the air, awnings inside the store and, get this - running water on the floor. Admittedly odd, but a nice touch and added to the ambience.

Anyways, checked the denim. Superb quality, albeit all in a one-wash state (i.e. soaked once from the raw state). Maintained most of the "crispiness" regardless. Their staple jean looked decent. Honestly, their premium "Sorahikos" didn't look like that much of an upgrade. But I guess it's all in the details. You can customize the fuck out of them. For example, you can change all the rivets to sterling silver if you so pleased (oooh! blingin'). This is what intrigued me the most: you can actually have them perform different washes right there in the store. I think they range from a wash replicating how the jeans would look with 1-year of washing/wear, 5 years, and 7 years. This leads to the crazy, borderline insane, part. The Sorahikos cost $750 clams. Yep you read right. And according to the sales associate (who was super nice btw...fine girl at the counter as well), if you wanted the 7-year wash applied, rivets replaced... the total would come out to something like $1300 (!). Truly only for the dedicated denim-head. With deep pockets and maybe a trust fund.

Graff at a bus shelter on 1st Ave in the Village. This is only the tip of the iceberg...much more of this type around the city.

2 comments:

antyxenophobyc said...

I like this... capturing the uniqueness one can only call NY.

AC said...

is the sneaker store you're talking about nort/recon?